We, here at Grotto Hair Studio, are in full swing wedding season! Maybe you have a wedding to attend, or you’re a bridesmaid, or even the bride herself. Over the next couple of posts, we would like to take you thru some steps on how to achieve the perfect wedding updo. Some of the guidelines to keep in mind are as follows:
1) Consider your wedding theme/atmosphere. Is your wedding going to be a casual garden party? Will it take place on the sandy shores of a romantic beach? Or maybe you’re going for a more formal mood with an ornate cathedral ceremony.
These beachy waves are a perfect example of an informal wedding hairstyle. Think a bohemian themed wedding, a beach ceremony, or a garden party wedding.
This updo is perfect for a more traditional wedding. It may look out of place when worn with a flowy, Bohemian style dress. However, this style, paired with an ornate gown, would suit an elegant, timeless atmosphere perfectly (think a cathedral or church wedding).
2) Consider the style of your dress. Our next post will delve into this topic in more detail, however, it is important to match the style of your dress to the style of your hair. You would not want one taking away from the other. Rather, the updo chosen should complement the wedding dress.
3) Be observant of your hair texture, thickness and length. Often brides find pictures of updos that they love without fully considering the texture, thickness, length and colour of their own hair. What looks good on the model in the picture may be entirely unflattering on the bride herself. Working with your natural hair will help achieve the best bridal updo. However, that does not leave you totally limited. Thankfully, there are many salon tools that can manipulate the hair into your dream updo. You can curl straight hair, straighten curly hair or add extensions to shorter or finer hair. Just remember to avoid making sudden changes in your hair too soon before your wedding to prevent a hair crisis!
Here is an example of a bride working with her natural hair. A slight wave nicely complements her short bob.
4) The guidelines for face shapes applies even for bridal updos. Refer to our previous posts for advice on face shape guidelines here.
5) Your choice of bridal hair accessories can often determine how you wll style your hair. There are so many beautiful options out there that the possibilities are really endless as to the beauty that can be created in your wedding updo. However, remember that accessories should always compliment rather than take away from the natural beauty of the bride. In other words – less is often more. Take a look below at some stunning options for creating an extra special updo on your big day.
Fresh (and fake) flowers add the perfect touch of whimsy to any bridal updo.
Jeweled hair accessories often add the perfect glimmer of sparkle.
Veils are probably one of the most common accessories. However, the different styles are anything but commonplace. Here, this veil adds a soft, romantic look to subtle waves.
A bird cage veil adds a flair for vintage glam.
A tiara adds the perfect princess sparkle to any updo.
Our hope is that these guidelines provide some inspiration for you to exhibit your natural beauty during one of the biggest moments of your life. Stay posted to learn how to pick the appropriate bridal updo for your wedding dress.