This is the last of the face shapes to be discussed on “Behind the Chair.” And we have saved the most unique for last – the diamond face shape. The diamond face shape is actually the least common of all face shapes, however, the features of a diamond face shape are quite striking. When played up properly, the emphasis of the prominent cheekbones is quite appealing.
Those with diamond face shapes will notice that their faces are widest at the cheekbones and narrow at both the chin and forehead. Because of the narrow width in the forehead and chin, the diamond face shape can appear quite long. The main style aims for someone with a diamond face shape are:
– Create the illusion of a broader chin and forehead to balance out the width of the cheekbones.
– Shorten the length of the face.
Who are some familiar faces who share this face shape? Try Jennifer Lopez, Selena Gomez, Rihanna, Felicity Huffman, and Christy Turlington.
Below are some guidelines to keep in mind when addressing the proper hairstyle for a diamond shaped face:
1) A good rule of thumb when styling a diamond face shape is to be sure to add width to the style, rather than height. Extra volume at the crown of the head will cause a diamond face to appear too long. That being said, the volume in the style should always appear BELOW the cheekbones so as not to create unwanted width at the widest area of the face.
Here is an example of unwanted volume for a diamond shaped face:
This is a perfect example of how NOT to style hair for a diamond face shape. Thankfully, Jennifer Lopez has updated her look. Not only is this look out of date, it also has excessive volume which draws attention to the widest portion of her face – the cheekbones. As well, her bangs being pulled back add unwanted volume at the crown while emphasizing her narrow forehead.
This, rather, is a much more flattering style for Lopez:
While this style is much more current on Jennifer, it is also much more flattering for her facial features. Here, the side-swept bangs make her narrow forehead appear wider. As well, the volume of her hair is kept to the sides in soft waves falling below her cheekbones. Notice that there is no unwanted volume at the crown of her head, preventing her face from looking longer.
2) As mentioned in the above caption, the fringe area (bangs) should sweep to the side, or even be worn straight across, as this gives the appearance of the forehead being wider than it really is. As well, wearing the fringe in such a fashion will shorten the length of the face.
3) Avoid centre parts. An off-center part is more flattering simply because a centre part will make the face appear longer.
4) Super short hairstyles should be avoided, as this will exaggerate the diamond shape of the face.
Here are two depictions of how not to and how to wear short hair with a diamond face shape:
We love how daring Rihanna is with her style, however, this style does not flatter her face shape. Notice how the extra volume at her crown and exposed forehead cause her face to appear longer than it really is.
While we aren’t nuts about this hair colour on Rihanna, the hair cut itself is much more complimentary to her facial features. Gone is the volume that added extra height to her already long face. As well, the long side-swept bang adds width to her forehead while shortening her face. We also love how the one side of her hair is tucked to expose her beautiful cheekbone structure.
Well, this is it for the flattering hairstyles for face shapes series! We hope that you’ve enjoyed following along, and hopefully, you have learned a little bit about your own face shape and the styles that complement! Now, you should be able to approach your next hair appointment with more confidence and direction! If in doubt, remember to ask your stylist as they are trained professionals who can aid you in making style decisions.
And remember – hang around! We’ve got so much more to discuss here “Behind the Chair!”