Today, one of the final face shapes we plan on discussing is the triangular face shape, also commonly known as the pear shape. A triangular face is identified by a narrow forehead and cheekbones, with a wider jaw line. As with any face shape, there are pros and cons that your hair should highlight and also minimize. With a triangular face shape, the top portion of the face is out of proportion with the bottom portion of the face, making the jaw line appear bottom-heavy. However, those with triangular face shapes have a beautifully strong jaw line, meaning there is no need to worry about weak or non-existent chins. Celebrities who also share similar facial attributes are Kathy Ireland, Nicole Appleton, Martine McCutcheon, and Victoria Beckham.
Below are some suggested guidelines when styling a triangular face shape:
1) The most suitable hairstyles is one that draws attention to the upper half of the face while softening the line of the jaw. Try styles that have more fullness at the forehead and temples, which then gradually gets narrower at the chin. Providing fullness at the forehead and temples will balance out the width of a heavier chin. To open up the cheekbones and forehead, simply tuck the hair behind the ear.
2) Steer clear of very blunt lines that will emphasize the width of the jaw line, such as blunt, heavy bangs. It is better to style bangs in a soft, side-swept fashion, drawing attention to the cheekbones and eyes.
3) Ensure that there is plenty of volume through the upper portion of the face. If a short style is desired, this may mean using hot rollers at the crown to provide volume. With medium and longer hair, this will mean back-combing the hair around the temples and cheekbones to provide the illusion of width in order to balance out a bottom heavy face shape.
4) Avoid centre parts, as this will draw attention to the middle of the face, accentuating the wider jaw line.
5) One of the most flattering hairstyles on a triangular face is an asymmetrical bob, which adds balance and proportion to a narrow forehead, wide jaw line and prominent chin. Since the length of this hairstyle is uneven, it causes the eyes to roam around the face, rather than focusing on one specific area.
Do not be afraid of your triangular face shape. Each face shape is beautiful, with their own areas to minimize while drawing attention to others.