If you are a woman who has an oblong shaped face, consider yourself blessed. Because of its strong jaw, elongated forehead and broad cheekbones, the oblong shaped face is considered to be one of the most elegant and regal of all face shapes. Who else shares this face shape? Think of Meryl Streep, Liv Tyler, Angelina Jolie, Imam, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Kardashian.
As with any face shape, the oblong shape has general guidelines that serve to be most complementary:
1) One of the biggest challenges with an oblong face shape is trying to make the face look wider. An easy way to achieve width on an oblong face shape is to create bangs. Most bangs look beautiful on an oblong face shape, whether they be side-swept or blunt. Overall, bangs help to camouflage a large forehead.
2) Avoid hairstyles that are too long. Long hair will only draw attention to a long face. If you really must have long hair, make sure it is layered with the shortest layer hitting your chin. This will add some width to a narrow look.
Rather, here is an example of how long hair should be worn if you do have an oblong shaped face:
3) Refrain from wearing your hair super sleek and straight. As stated in the above picture, straight hair emphasizes the length of an oblong face. If possible, work with any natural wave or curl in the hair, which will add width to your face. If you do not have natural wavy or curly hair, you can easily attain body in your hair by winding your hair around a curling iron.
4) Chin length bobs and cuts are ideal as they create the illusion of a wider face, as shown below:
5) When wearing your hair short, avoid styles with a lot of volume on the top, as this, too, will create unwanted height and length to be added to the face.
If you find yourself to have an oblong shaped face, do not be discouraged. Follow these guidelines and you will be well on your way to highlighting the most elegant, regal face shape.